Friday 8 June 2012

June storytime

June storytime is around the corner...tomorrow, Saturday June 9th at 10:30 am at the Wazemmes library. While I'm reading books, my daughter will be having her tooth drilled so this will be a happy distraction.

A second storytime will be held on June 20th at 3:30pm.

I had a comment on my blog a few weeks ago from germanintheafternoon, an American who started a German bilingual storytime in Pennsylvania. She left a comment about her son's reaction to her reading stories to other kids. I have to say that it struck home. I've found myself in terribly awkward situations while reading to groups of kids. How do you handle it when your almost 3 year is climbing on your lap and your 6 year old is climbing on your back while you read to a group of kids? Reading has always been an intimate moment for me and the kids, since the moment they were born. It has been my way of insuring that  they have some English in their French filled day. Reading means mommy time. Add to that the fact that many of the books I read are theirs! So, it's quite understandable that their animal instincts take over. But it takes everything I have to not yell at them...

At the storytime in May, at the book fair, the director of the main library came to introduce herself to me. And then I received an email from the branch's director with someone else in copy - who I assume to be one of the head honchos - asking me officially if I would continue doing the bilingual storytime and if we could do a special Halloween edition for Lille Fantastic 3000, the Lille festival that begins in the fall.

Woohoo! Now I just need to figure out how to get paid for this...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! You are making a name for yourself. Volunteer activities can turn into real opportunities when the time is right.

Grandma the Librarian

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...