Monday 20 January 2014

MLK day 2014

Every year on MLK day, I find myself reflecting on how to teach my children about American culture what it means to ME be an American. And it's no coincidence if MLKday provides me with an annual time for reflection. 


I didn't realize it until recently, but MLK day was a national holiday in 1984. I was 9 years old when we first started celebrating it as a national holiday. I was in 4th grade so MLK day was always part of my life. 

Over the past few years, I've tried to explain Martin Luther King Jr (2011) to my daughter and also to her entire class. But it loses a lot of the relevance and importance when they 1) live in a country where past historical atrocities are still brushed under the rug, 2)there never was any segregation and 3) it's just not part of the culture. 

So this year for MLK day, I will once again talk to my kids about the importance of accepting difference and being kind to everyone. And I'll also read them this book and hope they get why it's an important part of being American. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...