Monday 22 August 2011

Full sentence...

And just like that, Max is speaking in full English sentences. Oh wait, if we go back a couple months and look at previous posts, it wasn't always so easy.
At the beginning of the summer, Max was speaking to me in French, remember? My parents arrived at the beginning on August and the kids have been living in near exclusively English since then. My mother noted that Suzanne is using contractions. This is big progress since, although Suzanne's English is as good as any native 5 year old's, it was still very formal. My daughter now says don't and won't.
When my parents arrived 2 weeks ago, they could understand him. He was beginning to put 2 words together like: big truck or cold water. But somewhere between last week and yesterday, Max began making sentences. Just this morning his said, "cup multifruit juice please mommy dear" followed up "want more sugar in it" and "gimme more cold water". So, I think I can start to relax. My son't English will be fine...
Max will be starting school next September and Suzanne will be going into First Grade where she'll learn to read and write in French. So, next summer, I'm hoping to spend a solid chunck on time in the US so we can reinforce English skills for both kids before they dive deeper into the French school system.
I've mentioned in the past my distaste for French education. A few months ago, my husband made a comment that I like to keep in the forefront of my tortured brain: we both went through seperate systems yet ended up at the same place. While I was in Paris last week, I was talking to an American married to a Frenchman who lives in DC. She is getting certified in Montessori. We were talking about our mutual aversion towards French eduction system with its public shaming and habit of breaking you down to build you back up. And we concluded that you can go to a Montessori school in the US and still feel inept. Or you can go to a French school in France and come out feeling good. Because it has a lot to do with what you have in your home life.
So, there's still hope....

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Great news for Max! I love following your kids' bilingual experience. I was recently in Lille and saw the cute city you talk about. Best from Paris.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...