Saturday 31 October 2009

'appy alowine 2009

Once again, it's Halloween in France; and once again this year, I'm a little confused by the Hallowee, roller coaster. Is it here or not? My local supermarket is selling pumpkins for jack o'lanterns (advertised as such) right next to a display of Haribo candy specially packaged for Halloween. the beauty supply store down the street has a window display with pumpkins, spiders and cans of hair paint. Yet. Yet...where is Halloween?


This year, I will not be caught off guard as I have been in the past. I bought candy for the eventual, straggling trick or treater, no matter how rude or not (see previous Halloween experiences). And we are going to my friend's almost annual Halloween party with repleat with apple bobbing, pumpkin carving and loads of candy.

I even sewed a costume for Suzanne.

I just wish I could go trick or treating....

Peter Mayle has provided some 'alowine food for thought in his recent op ed in the New York Times. A good and accurate account of Halloween in France

3 comments:

Owen said...

It's sort of the holiday that just doesn't seem to be catching on here... and no wonder, given some of the very negative opinions I hear expressed about it by French neighbors or colleagues... just another commercial affair for many...

Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

With the outbreak of H1N1 swine flu here in the US, bobbing for apples is now taboo. Newspaper articles and school newsletters warn us not to let kids swap spit in any way!

Fortunately, popcorn balls are still legal.

I hope you and your family had a fun Halloween regardless of how the French half-heartedly celebrated it!

Reb said...

Today as I was picking Suz up from school, the teacher said to me "sorry for forgetting about Halloween. you should have reminded me!" I replied that I thought she wasn't interested (because she wasn't). But she told me that in the past it was so commercial, blah blah...so I guess I'll force it on next year's teacher.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...