Thursday 3 September 2009

La rentrée

La rentrée - or back to school. I don't remember it ever being such a big deal growing up in the US as it is here. I remember getting my new canvas binder and drawing a nice picture on it and maybe getting a new (hand me down) lunch box. And probably shoes. Actually, I definitely remember my new pair of brwn dock siders for 3rd grade...and the horrible outfit and home perm I had for my first day of high school...


But here in France, it's a national event. Everyone, even if you don't have kids, is asking about la rentrée because it's also back to work for those who have taken a lovely 5 week French vacation and for those businesses that have closed in the month of August (yes, businesses CLOSE for the entire month).

And this morning, we dropped my little Suzanne off for her first day of school. Sniff sniff. Now I have quite a few choice words to say about the French education system, but I will save that for when my children are a little older since I have nothing but positive things to say about early education in France.

My personal educational experiences in France are not positive, but that's only the university level which leads you to believe that the negative factor is introcduced much younger... The university in Aix was sad to say the least. And my masters in Lille was even sadder, probably because I was actually studying education. There was no interaction between prof-students, the students were scared to speak and all they could do was regurgitate information without giving any sort of opinion whatsoever. There is nothing positive or reinforcing, nothing nurturing, nothing to forge character. then again, the Us system is too nurturing and koombaya.

But...but...the elementary/grammar school in France is excellent. It provides early childhood education free for kids from the age of 2 or 3 (once they're potty trained and ready). I've thought a lot about what my kids' education will be like later on. It makes me sad because I think so poorly of the public education system in France; but for now, I'm glad Suzanne will be starting school in France and hopefully the American side will counterbalance some of the damage.



3 comments:

Isabelle said...

What does your husband think about the French education system, since he was brought up with it?

Beth said...

ITA about the early years. But I'm also finding the colleges and lycées (jr highs and high schools) quite good in the public sector in France. The education is solid, if a bit limited. (no band, choir, theatre, etc). My theory is that French teachers can actually TEACH (and instill discipline) because they don't have insane parents constantly threatening to sue them. Just an idea...

Jérôme (the husband) said...

Thank you for asking !
Her husband thinks that Rebecca has a point even if she forgot to mention that the french system is much more affordable (It was actually made so that everyone could benefit from university studies but i am afraid that it is no longer true...)
I have to say i am quite happy with what the system provided for me : As a late bloomer, i was average in every subject and i'm not sure i could have studied as many of them (architecture) for as long and for a fee of only a couple hundred euros a year in the US.

By the way Rebecca, if you already decided that our kids should leave France when they reach eighteen, please tell me now ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...