Wednesday 1 October 2008

10 reasons I know I'm still American

10. I don't get French movies. I think they're boring and overacted and I never laugh at the jokes.
9. I flip people off when I get angry. Even though my face may strain into a French suck-air sound, my fingers still know what to do.
8. I eat lots of cheddar cheese. I love goat, stink bombs and other dirty foot smeeling favorites. But when I'm in need, I go for the cheddar.
7. I don't get dressed up to go to the market. I have been known to go out in my pyjamas, covered by a trench coat. I also put the garbage out in my pyjamas.
6. I have no problem wearing old dirty sneakers in public together with a pair of not so fashionable jeans.
5. I don't know how to peel fruit without touching it. I'd much rather chomp into an apple than waste time figuring out how to get a lovely corkscrew peel.
4.I like eating turkey more than once a year. It annoys me (in a good way since the meat is delicious) that I have to get a Christmas turkey specially killed early for Thansgiving.
3. I get Starbuck's whenever I see one. I actually don't even like Starbuck's or drink coffee, but it feels a little like home. Funny the same doesn't apply to McDonald's.
2. I know that Peurto Rico is not a state. But I don't know the population of the US. That's what the internet is for.
1. I just voted using the absentee ballot I got in the mail yesterday. And no, I have no faith in the American electorate. Woe to the world...

6 comments:

Leah said...

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and YES!

The Duchess said...

Isn't it funny how flipping the bird is such a involuntary reaction? We must learn it at birth!
And give me some cheddar any day!

Elisabeth said...

Great list! I will try to do something similar, but there's really so little Frenchness left in me... That I am not sure I can do it.

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely hilarious! I so get strange looks in the grocery store in my sweats. There are women at 10am Sat morn in full makeup and heels at Tesco - where are you going?!! (Coming from?)

I hope you don't mind, but I am so going to pattern this on my blog - thanks for the inspiration!

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

I didn't even have Starbucks where I lived in the US, and the other day, feeling nostalgic, I walked into Starbucks just as you said. I'm still puzzled with myself: nostalgic over WHAT?

I love this list!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...